- Asleep by 2:30 AM is an early night.
- New additions to the food groups: Mountain Dew, Doritos, Ben & Jerry’s, Ho-Hos and Oreos.
- Make sure your alarm clock has back-up batteries.
- Duct tape heals all wounds.
- Showers become less important.
- Sleep becomes more important.
- 10 minutes is more than enough time to get ready for your first class. Continue reading…
Letter home from school…
$chool i$ really great. I am making lot$ of friend$ and $tudying very hard. With all my $tuff, I $imply can’t think of anything I need, $o if you would like, you can ju$t $end me a card, a$ I would love to hear from you.
A week later….. a letter from “home”
I kNOw that astroNOmy, ecoNOmics, and oceaNOgraphy are eNOugh to keep even an hoNOr student busy. Do NOt forget that the pursuit of kNOwledge is a NOble task, and you can never study eNOugh.
- Wash your hands and face and brush your teeth. It cools and cleans the parts of your body that you use most frequently, which is relaxing, and gives you that “fresh start” feeling.
- Put on clean socks and some shoes that you haven’t worn in a few days. Shoes take a day or two to release any moisture they have absorbed, and this is a very easy way to put a little pep back into your step.
- Give yourself a good shave (face or legs). This is another instant refresher. Especially if you have sensitive skin or the weather is dry. Plus, when we know we are looking our best, we naturally feel better.
- Look at any trophy, diploma, or certificate of achievement that you have earned. And if it isn’t framed and on the wall, frame it now. These are reminders of your accomplishments, and taking in your success is important to maintaining your self-esteem.
- Remember your last (or greatest) success and think about it for sixty seconds. Taking in your success as often as possible will help you reach another and another. Quite simply, it reminds you that if you’ve done it before, you can do it again.
- Know you are the person your loved ones think you are. And yes, that goes for your dog too. Knowing that you are unconditionally loved can’t help but make you feel good about yourself. It’s so easy to beat yourself up, I recommend pulling yourself up instead.
- Wash your car, inside and out. Hey, when our wheels are shiny, we feel better. If you don’t think this applies to you, just remember how you felt the last time you got a ride in someone’s very funky car. Race you to the car wash.
- Organize your closet and get rid of anything that no longer fits. Old clothes may come back into style, but you really don’t want them on hangers for the next twenty years. Throwing out the old makes room for the new. For some, the feeling they get from putting on a new “power suit” fills them with pride.
- Cook a lovely meal. Even if you are by yourself, preparing a tasty dinner, setting the table, and treating yourself to a wonderful culinary experience will lift your spirits. Sharing it with someone you love and/or respect will make it even more nurturing.
- Look around you, remember that you started with nothing, and know that everything you see, you created. We can all lose our feelings of self-worth, especially when something goes wrong in our world. The truth is that if you have done it before, you can do it again-no matter what.
None of these tasks has to be uncomfortable or take you much time. Finding ways to give yourself a little boost when you’re not feeling like you’re at the top of your game is a trick that truly happy people use on a regular basis.
Source: Psychology Today
- ToskaRussian – Vladmir Nabokov describes it best: “No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom.”
- Mamihlapinatapei – Yagan (indigenous language of Tierra del Fuego) – “the wordless, yet meaningful look shared by two people who both desire to initiate something but are both reluctant to start” (Altalang.com)
- Jayus – Indonesian – “A joke so poorly told and so unfunny that one cannot help but laugh” (Altalang.com)
- Iktsuarpok – Inuit – “To go outside to check if anyone is coming.” (Altalang.com)
- Litost – Czech – Milan Kundera, author of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, remarked that “As for the meaning of this word, I have looked in vain in other languages for an equivalent, though I find it difficult to imagine how anyone can understand the human soul without it.” The closest definition is a state of agony and torment created by the sudden sight of one’s own misery.
- Koikumama – Japanese – “A mother who relentlessly pushes her children toward academic achievement” (Altalang.com)
- Tartle – Scottish – The act of hesitating while introducing someone because you’ve forgotten their name. (Altalang.com)
- Ilunga – Tshiluba (Southwest Congo) – A word famous for its untranslatability, most professional translators pinpoint it as the stature of a person “who is ready to forgive and forget any first abuse, tolerate it the second time, but never forgive nor tolerate on the third offense.” (Altalang.com)
- Prozvonit – Czech – This word means to call a mobile phone and let it ring once so that the other person will call back, saving the first caller money. In Spanish, the phrase for this is “Dar un toque,” or, “To give a touch.” (Altalang.com)
- Cafuné – Brazilian Portuguese – “The act of tenderly running one’s fingers through someone’s hair.” (Altalang.com)
Source: Atheist Cartoon
- A little knowledge can go a long way
- A lot of professionals are crackpots
- A man can’t know what it is to be a mother
- A name means a lot just by itself
- A positive attitude means all the difference in the world
- A relaxed man is not necessarily a better man
- A sense of timing is the mark of genius
- A sincere effort is all you can ask
- A single event can have infinitely many interpretations
- A solid home base builds a sense of self Continue reading…
The world is meaningless, there is no God or gods, there are no morals, the universe is not moving inexorably towards any higher purpose. All meaning is man-made, so make your own, and make it well. Do not treat life as a way to pass the time until you die.
Do not try to “find yourself”, you must make yourself. Choose what you want to find meaningful and live, create, love, hate, cry, destroy, fight and die for it. Do not let your life and your values and you actions slip easily into any mold, other that that which you create for yourself, and say with conviction, “This is who I make myself”.
Do not give in to hope. Remember that nothing you do has any significance beyond that with which imbue it. Whatever you do, do it for its own sake. When the universe looks on with indifference, laugh, and shout back, “Fuck You!”. Rembember that to fight meaninglessness is futile, but fight anyway, in spite of and because of its futility.
The world may be empty of meaning, but it is a blank canvas on which to paint meanings of your own. Live deliberately. You are free.
Source: Write Something
- “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.”
- “Imagination is more important than knowledge.”
- “Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.”
- “The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.”
- “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
- “The only real valuable thing is intuition.”
- “A person starts to live when he can live outside himself.”
- “Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.”
- “I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.”
- “The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility.” Continue reading…